From Deployment to Employment
“Goodwill serves those who first served us!"
Employment surfaced as the most significant issues facing veterans today.
Goodwill is committed to improving the education and wellness opportunities for veterans and military families through case coordination and mentoring. Hiring veterans is not charity – it is an investment in our community. Millions of dollars are spent to train our armed forces personnel – they are lost assets if we do not find a way to repurpose those skills.
Goodwill Manasota has created a Veterans Task Force. The Mission is to: “Provide a leadership role in addressing strategic issues and providing community-supported solutions facing veterans and their families on employment and transitioning into civilian life.” The Veterans Task Force sent a survey to numerous organizations that focus on veteran’s issues, as well as individual veterans and asked them to provide input as to the main issue facing veterans – from their perspectives.
Addressing The Issue
- VETERANS AND THEIR FAMILIES PROGRAM – Goodwill’s Veterans Service Advisors offer access to employment preparation courses, educational and technical skills classes, and work tools; all aimed at assisting veterans find meaningful employment so that they may advance beyond their military careers and regain a sense of pride, dignity and purpose. One-on-one guidance is provided, especially to those who have become disabled during their tour of duty. Program trainers match job seekers with job opportunities through targeted recruitment services and job fairs. As former veterans, coaches are uniquely qualified to help other veterans rise to the challenge of assimilation. This Program is also an expansion of the Goodwill’s Job Connection program - which provides job training, placement and employment services to thousands of American veterans as well as their spouses and families.
- Provides veterans with the behavior and workplace skills required to transition into civilian work force.
- Assists veterans with opportunities to build a strong work history.
- Develops a launching pad for higher paying jobs, incorporating the veteran’s vocational goals.
- Provides veterans and their families with comprehensive case management services and vocational programming. Case managers address barriers to employment, disabilities and mental health issues which will maximize vocational opportunities for veterans.
- Veterans are assessed and provided with assistance to develop life goals; including employment, housing, family, education and other aspects of returning to the civilian sector.
- The expansion of Goodwill’s Job Connection program has increased the depth and breadth of aid by implementing individual rehabilitation plans to train and assist veterans with their transition into the civilian work force. Since the inception in 2013, Goodwill Manasota has served more than a thousand veterans reintegrated back into the civilian workforce.
- To request assistance, please click here.
- RESOURCE VETERANS GUIDE – This Guidebook is helpful in working with Veterans who are looking for a directory of services in our community. There are sections for housing, food, VA benefits, child care, etc. – everything the Veterans and their family needs to assist them in reintegrating back into civilian life.
DOWNLOAD YOUR COPY OF GOODWILL MANASOTA'S VETERANS RESOURCE GUIDE!
- SERV PROGRAM – In 2015, through financial support from local business owners, Goodwill Manasota created the Special Emergency Resources for Veterans (SERV) Fund. Individuals and businesses can donate directly to the SERV fund and 100% of the money donated goes directly towards helping veterans. The veterans assisted must meet certain criteria before becoming eligible to receive funding through the SERV program – and the funds are used only for circumstances of immediate financial need.
To request assistance, please click here.
- BRAVE PROGRAM -- In 2016, the Benefits, Resources and Veterans Education (BRAVE) Program was created. Many returning Veterans suffer debilitating psychological wounds. Many more servicemen have been lost to suicide than lost in combat. The system is overwhelmed by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Of the 1.7 million Veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, 300,000 (20 percent) suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder or major depression. Veteran mental health services are essential in order to help our all veterans recover from their combat experiences and mental health issues related to their military service. Through our partnership with The Women’s Resource Center, Goodwill provides free counseling to veterans.
Attention All Veterans!
Goodwill offers group therapy and free counselling to veterans.
You’re invited to network with other veterans and counselors from the Women’s Resource Center.
Meet other veterans who have walked the same walk and who have faced similar challenges.
Be a mentor, be encouraged, but most of all…be there!
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE.
REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.